Prince Philip ‘thought Harry and Meghan’s bombshell Oprah interview was madness’
The late Prince Philip thought Harry and Meghan’s sensational interview with Oprah was ‘madness’, a royal biographer has claimed.
Harry’s granddad was also said to have thought ‘no good would come of it’ and that his grandson regretted the decision to quit royal duties and move to the US.
Royal biographer Gyles Brandreth was reported to have said that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s decision was ‘not the right thing, either for the country or for themselves.’
The Duke of Edinburgh, who died aged 99 on Friday, was in hospital when the couple went on TV to make a series of allegations about their time in the royal family.
This included claims that an unnamed member of The Firm had made a racist comment.
Now, the Mail Online reports that Mr Brandreth believed the late Prince thought the interview was a bad idea.
He said: “I know from someone close to him that he thought Meghan and Harry’s interview with Oprah Winfrey was ‘madness’ and ‘no good would come of it’.
“I was not surprised because that is exactly how he described to me the personal TV interviews given by Prince Charles and Diana, Princess of Wales, back in the 1990s.’
He added: “The fact that the Meghan and Harry interview was aired while Philip was in hospital did not trouble him. What did worry him was the couple’s preoccupation with their own problems and their willingness to talk about them in public. ‘Give TV interviews by all means,’ he said, ‘but don’t talk about yourself’.”
Tributes from the Palace were paid to Prince Philip, who had been the longest-serving consort in British history before officially retiring from public engagements in 2017.
A full statement said: “It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
“His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.
” Further announcements will made in due course. The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss.”
It was believed Harry would likely isolate for around five days after arriving from the United States, where he lives with Meghan, who is pregnant with a baby girl, and son Archie.
Powered by Translate