Prince Philip said ‘I can’t imagine anything worse’ when asked about turning 100
Prince Philip hated fuss and he was “not looking forward to being 100” and the attention that would come with it.
The Duke of Edinburgh died aged 99, only a couple of months before his landmark 100th birthday but that is unlikely to have bothered him.
Since retiring from public duty in 2017 he was able to live a low-key final few years at Sandringham, said royal sources.
Philip died peacefully at home in Windsor on Friday, after spending a month in hospital earlier this year.
He was happy to spend his time painting or reading and driving carriages while staying at Wood Farm. His only plan was to go to church when he turned 100, it is reported.
“The prospect of turning 100 in June held no appeal for him. He was permitting no national celebration and the pandemic saved him from that,” said The Telegraph’s Royal reporter Hugo Vicker.
“Most likely he would’ve gone to church as he did when he turned 90. He was not looking forward to being 100 and all the fuss that could entail.
“While we mind him missing that significant margin of little more than 70 days, it would not have concerned him.”
Royal journalist Robert Jobson also tweeted: ” #PrincePhilip#DukeOfEdinburgh when asked about becoming 100, said ‘I can’t imagine anything worse’. Sadly, the great man got his wish. He would have reached his century on 10 June 2021.”
Buckingham Palace announced around midday on Friday that Philip had died and the Queen paid tribute to her “strength and guide”.
He would be entitled to a state funeral but it is thought that he did not want this.
Instead he will have a military funeral, with a private service at St George’s Chapel in Windsor and burial in Frogmore Gardens.
A statement from Buckingham Palace said: “It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
“His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.
“Further announcements will made in due course. The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss.”
Philip had been taken to London’s King Vll Hospital in mid February after feeling unwell before two weeks later being moved to St Bart’s Hospital where he was treated for an infection and a heart condition.
Buckingham Palace then announced on Tuesday, March 16, he had been discharged from hospital and was in “good spirits” and “comfortable”, before confirming on Friday that he had passed away at home.
Powered by Translate