Prince Harry’s ‘huge mark of disrespect’ to Royal Family caused rift with William
Prince William and Prince Harry’s bond was “shattered” when Megixt plans were “rushed out” before it had been agreed with the Queen, an explosive new book claims.
The new book by Royal biographer Robert Lacey makes stark allegations about Buckingham Palace rifts.
Mr Lacey claims that Prince Williams saw it as a “huge mark of disrespect” when the Megixt plans were announced with sources saying Prince William was “distraught and blindsided'”.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex had returned from a winter break on Vancouver Island and wanted to discuss the situation with other members of the Royal Family.
The Queen reportedly said the family could meet at the end of January 2020.
But Harry and Meghan had not told anyone they intended to share a statement online on January 8, announcing their decision to step down as senior members of the Royal Family and start a new life in America.
The pair have barely spoken since, the book also claims.
Mr Lacey told The Sun: “Some say, ‘Oh, it doesn’t matter. It will blow over’.
“But that’s not what historians will be saying in ten years’ time.
“If this breach between the brothers is not healed in some way it will come to stand with the 1936 Abdication crisis and the 1997 death of Diana as one of the traumas that changed the monarchy.”
Meghan and Harry’s representatives had denied rumours they had a hand in the book, which charts their royal split.
Announcing their decision to step down as senior royals earlier this year, Harry and Meghan wrote on social media: “After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution.
“We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen.
“It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment.
“We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages.
“This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity.
“We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties.
“Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.”
Shortly after, Buckingham Palace replied: “Discussions with the Duke and Duchess are at an early stage.
“We understand the desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.”
Excerpts from Battle of Brothers are being serialised in the Daily Mail, beginning today.
Buckingham Palace is not commenting on the book, a spokeswoman told Mirror Online.
Powered by Translate