Brit, 33, dead and two friends critical after travelling to Turkey for dental treatment
A British man has died and two of his friends are in a critical condition after flying to Turkey for dental treatment.
Richard Molloy, 33, of North Belfast, died on Saturday after travelling to Marmaris, but it is not known what caused his death.
The two other men – named locally as Declan Carson and Aaron Callaghan, also from North Belfast – were left fighting for their lives in hospital.
It is said they were in comas but their condition has now improved. The men reportedly travelled to Turkey for teeth whitening treatment.
There were unconfirmed claims that the men taken medication linked to the treatment before being found unconscious in a flat they had rented for their trip.
Do you know the men? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Kevin Bell Repatriation Trust is helping Mr Molloy’s family to being his body home.
Colin Bell, a spokesman for the organisation, told the Belfast Telegraph: “It’s a very difficult situation. The young fellow died out in Turkey after travelling with his two friends.
“I understand they had been travelling out for dental treatment, we don’t know how it happened but it ended up with Richard dying and the other two lads being seriously ill.”
He added: “At this stage his sister has flown out and she’s been put in touch with the funeral company who are looking after Richard’s repatriation.”
Mr Callaghan is a former player for St James’ Swifts Football Club.
Last week, he tweeted a picture of the three men basking in sunshine in the sea, writing: “How’s your Friday.”
His former football club wrote on Twitter: “Our thoughts and prayers go out to former first team player Aaron Callaghan today.
“Everyone at the club are thinking of you during this time and we have both you (and) your friends within our hearts.”
A friend wrote on Facebook: “Can not get you out of my head Aaron Callaghan and the other two! Really don’t know the minute, you have to pull through this too much of the world to see and plans made, prayers with them all.”
Sinn Fein MP John Finucane said three men from North Belfast were involved in the incident.
Mr Finucane said: “We are devastated to learn of a tragic incident involving three North Belfast men in Turkey.
“One of the men has passed away, while the other two are currently receiving treatment in hospital. Our community will rally around the families at this difficult time.
Belfast deputy mayor, SDLP councillor Paul McCusker, tweeted: “Worrying and devastating news coming from Turkey regarding three local North Belfast men.
“At this stage we know one male has died and two others are critical.
“As a North Belfast community all our thoughts and prayers are with you all including the families.”
A spokesperson for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: “We are supporting the family of a British man who has died in Turkey and we are in contact with the Turkish authorities.”
The Republic of Ireland’s Department of Foreign Affairs is providing consular assistance. At least two of the men travelled to Turkey on Irish passports.
Powered by Translate